6.27.2008

Triangle Woes

So I cut all the pieces out for my shoofly quilt blocks. The book doesn't give much instruction on the blocks, just that the finished size of the block should be 9".

Knowing that I need 1/4" seam allowances, I cut all the squares at 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". Then I cut more of the same size and just cut them in half for the diagonals. This is the result:

The pieces with the triangles ended up being MUCH smaller than just the block pieces. Which bothers me, because when I was cutting the blocks I wondered if there would be a difference, so I checked in the Grandma's Best book (the one that had this pattern), and couldn't find anything on it. Now, doing research AFTER the fact, I found this in The Joy of Quilting:
"Cut a square once diagonally to yield two half-square triangles...To determine
the size square to be cut, add 7/8" to the finished short side of a
triangle. For example, to cut two triangles with a finished short side of 3",
cut a square 3 7/8""

So now I'm at a loss. I'm wondering if I can decrease their seams to 1/8" and up the ones on the squares to make it more "even". Also I'm looking at the Joy book and seeing that the side and corner triangles I cut to frame the "block" portion of the quilt may also be to small. . .

Suggestions?

No comments: