8.28.2008

Pooling nightmare



Ironic that there's a "good and bad examples of pooling" thread up, because I have a picture to submit. These were the Anny Purls wristwarmers based off of Hello Yarn's Cable twist socks. Right when I got to the thumb gusset on the first (left) one, I realized I was doing the left-twist slightly wrong, but I admired the uniqueness. I loved how the pattern twisted to the left, but the striping of the sock went to the right.
I cast it off, then started the second one. Unfortunately, I didn't have the first with me, so I had no way of comparing the pooling patterns, but I thought they may be a little different. When I put the two together, it's horribly obvious. I used Mountain Colors Yarn in Goldrush for these handwarmers 'cause I didn't like the way they were looking with Grumperina's Jaywalkers. Of course, now by doing some online searches, I found it's best to usew two balls or two ends of a skein and alternate the strands every two or so rows to prevent this. So...what does this mean? I'm going to finish them (for sake of saying I did), then probably put them away thinking I will wear them when in actuality, I won't, and when I don't have money to buy yarn but am in the mood to knit, I will frog them and start over with all of this advice in mind. So there it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... blizknit from Ravelry here. I'm thinking you must have cast on at a different point in the color variation. See if you can cast on at the exact point you did for the first one. Hope this helps!

Lindsay said...

I had this same problem once, and I came to the conclusion that the huge hank of yarn, while being dyed, did not have a uniform circumference. Some loops on the inside of the hank were much shorter than loops on the outside. This makes for yarn that will spiral for a while but then the spiral will get thicker and slower...hope that makes sense!