This was my first attempt at making a pattern from scratch. I started out by taking detailed notes about the pattern, with fabric pieces, trim options, etc. Then, since I didn't have tissues paper or other suitable material to cut out a pattern, I used newspaper. It had slightl less give than normal material, but it came out really well. Since the print that I chose for the apron was somewhat thin, I lined the apron in a contrasting blue to make it more sturdy. The pictures of the finished product are below.
Have you ever gotten (or made) a present for someone that was so amazing you wanted to keep it for yourself? I wanted to make an apron for a friend of mine who has similar hostess tendencies as well as a desire to "play house" while at school. I was looking for a more feminine pattern than typical barbecue aprons, but had difficulty finding free patterns on the internet. I did, however, find the following simplicity vintage pattern. I was set to buy it, but couldn't find it on ebay or any site. The apron on the left was perfect for my friend.
Overall, I think the apron turned out great. Future suggestions for this would be to measure out the amount of trim because I grossly underestimated it (I could have bought more, but both of the Wal-marts near me closed down). Also, to make the scalloped edges more noticable on the finished product, I need to make them more dramatic in the pattern.
All things aside, it was a great first attempt at making my own pattern and I'm excited to try another. =)