2.02.2011

Making Homemade Pasta

Typically, when I come home I head straight for the couch with papers to grade or other schoolwork to do while watching TV. However, I have come to the realization that it is not that great for my health, and it is contributing to my boredom and belief that "I never have enough time to do the things that I really want to do.

So I decided that at least one day a week, I would specifically abstain from the TV. I'm also trying to go to the gym, but this is more about the other days I am couch-free.

I decided to use this time more productively. I have ambitions about ridding myself from processed food that is relatively simple to make, but my sister-in-law points out that I have yet to do any of the things I mentioned.
So I decided that my first TV-free afternoon would be spent making pasta. My stepmother actually had a pasta machine that she never used, so I took it off her hands last summer and it's been sitting in the box ever since.

But no more! Making pasta by scratch is surprisingly easy and tastes delicious. I used the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens, which was very simple to follow. I omitted the optional seasonings for my first batch.


To make it, the recipe calls for
  • 2.5 c all-purpose flour (although I'd now like to try the 00 flour meant for pasta in the future)
  • 1 t dried basil, marjoram, or sage, crushed (optional--I left out for first time)
  • 0.5 t salt
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 0.33 c water
  • 1 t olive oil

And now for some pictures! I did not take any pictures of the finished product, but I will in the future!

1 comment:

Mechelle said...

I know this post is years old, but I wanted to thank you for it. I love making pasta from scratch and hate feeding my family all the nasties that come in prepackaged foods. I have the same model pasta machine you use in the blog, but i never had a surface to attach it too which made making pasta too difficult. So i stopped making it and packed it away in the back of a cabinet to be forgotten, till your blog. Now though I have a small kitchen table that the machine will clamp to easily. My husband thanks you as he misses having homemade pasta