6.05.2011

Homemade Soap


I had the fortune of meeting up with a good friend of mine that also has crafty tendencies. She recently bought me the book Making it: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World. I have read it almost back-to-back, dog-eared pages and even written in comments and suggestions, but I had yet to make anything in the book.

So when Harmonoo stopped down, we decided to tackle the homemade soap. The instructions are fabulously easy, and our only difficulty was finding 100% NaOH (aka sodium hydroxide to those who aren't good with elemental symbols and chemical formulas....and aka "lye" to those who don't like chem terms in general. While I think it would be copyright violation to post their steps and recipes on my blog without permission, there are many websites like this that can get you started (and are great for visual people).

It still has to sit for another 24 hours, and then cure for about 4 weeks, but...I think it will be worth the wait! We added lavender essential oil to the soap when it got to the trace stage because I felt like it needed to "smell good" (even if it may become a little costly).

My biggest regret is that I didn't take any pictures while we were working! I took one at the end, but if I make this again (I'll know it 4 weeks!), I'll take some pictures for a step-by-step version.

1 comment:

Harmonoo said...

Yay! This was so fun and easy. I can't wait to see how it turns out. :)