7.24.2011

First Fried Chicken

Hello TSKB Readers!

The gym is a source of inspiration for me. Not in terms of health goals or fashion, but food. Perhaps self-destructively, I plunk myself at machines in front of Food Network while I work out. Lately it's bee so hot that I have to force myself to cook, but when I get ideas from TV, it takes at least some of the work away from me.

Case in point: I got to watch a cooking show called Alex's Day Off. I have never seen the show before, but hey, I was all about getting cooking ideas. The episode I watched was called Dinner and a Movie, and thanks to Food Network's website, I was able to look up the recipe.

The menu was
  • Fried chicken
  • Cornbread with onion jam
  • Homemade pickles
  • Egg cream soda
I decided to make a more simplified menu, so I went with the exact same recipe for the fried chicken (I just cut the ingredients in half because we're two people and I had two pieces of chicken and not 10), but then went with corn muffins using the recipe on the box of cornmeal, and a simpler veggie.

I was very nervous about frying the chicken. Oil at 375 degrees? I even told the boy (who was working on modding a computer case and somewhat distracted) that if I screamed, he'd need to call 911.

I worried for nothing. It went beautifully. I just had to bake mine longer than the 10 minutes suggested. I would definitely make this again. The chicken looked and tasted delicious! Probably not an ideal thing to eat when we're focused a little on weight loss, but it was also a great learning experience.

Other nonrelated upates:
  1. I hit 100 posts the other day! If I had realized it, I would have made the post about something other than library books, something more reflective
  2. I finished my first Shabby Apple Dare to Design Dress! I'm not thrilled with how it turned out, but if my design is chosen, I'm sure the fantastic people there can fix some of the flaws. Now I just need someone to take pictures for me.
  3. I'm thinking about trying to list items again in my etsy store. I kinda failed the first time, but we'll see

No comments: