8.01.2011

Butterick Disappointment

Hello TSKB Readers!

After a weekend away from my machine, I was ready to finish Butterick 6573. And so I did. However, I am not in love with it. I don't think it's the color. I don't think it's the buttons. Or the piping.



I think it boils down to two things: the length and the fit. Looking at the picture on the envelope, the shirt is tucked in, so I assumed it was longer than the other versions on the envelope. I added about 3" to the bottom for good measure, and boy am I glad that I did. They wanted a 1.5" hem...you'd be seeing my belly! The pictures I took weren't hemmed at all. In the end, I turned under 1/4", then another 1/4" and stitched. My actual made garment looks a whole lot more...like a sack compared to the envelope sketch. And I know I could probably belt it or wear it under a cardigan, but I know if there are restrictions to wearing the garment then I won't want to wear it very often.

Please excuse the hair...I tried Wen, and it did not cooperate with my hair at all.
So, this project will go to Goodwill. However, there were some good learning experiences, so I'm not terribly upset about it. I'm disappointed that it is not a keeper, but I learned how to use piping, and this is the first project that I made that required several buttonholes.



Tomorrow I cut out the pattern (and perhaps the muslin) for dress pants!

No comments: