10.16.2011

Finished Birthday Present


For my friend's belated birthday present, I finally made a decision about which side of the fabric to use.

After a rather long and frustrating week, when I got home on Friday I decided to just make her shirt.

However, things got a little frustrating. For my birthday, Ryan got me a serger (Brother 1034D). I've been debating whether or not to actually keep it, because a few months ago I learned about overcasting and have declared that I don't need a serger after all. But, I decided that I could test the waters on this project.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIRST TRY SEWING WITH A SERGER WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY TIRED AND FRUSTRATED! You will want to throw it across the room, as I nearly did.

However, when you figure things out and the thread stops breaking because you finally have the tension right, so you don't have to spend 5+ minutes threading the darned thing, some pretty cool stuff happens.

The front (with a kitty standing guard)

The back

Side bow detail

My tag
I think that despite the swearing and frustration, I will keep the serger. I will admit that the entire thing was not done on the serger. The shirring was done on my Janome, and seams where I was very nervous, I sewed with the Janome first and serged afterward. But the bulk of the seams were serged (it takes a LOT of faith).

There are some neat features on this machine, but I think I will just stick with the 4 thread overlock stitch for a few months until I feel more comfortable.


How have you expanded your sewing knowledge lately?

1 comment:

miamihoney said...

Aww, I love this shirt. You did a great job, your frustration is not apparent in the outcome :)I love your tags, did you make them yourself?

No new sewing skills today- I haven't done anything since last week.