2.20.2012

Canning!


I am on the last day of my 4(!) day weekend. I have been mildly productive, but to be honest, I have spent a lot of time sleeping and just mentally destressing.

I did manage to try something new today. I have been really interested in canning, and for my birthday, I requested canning supplies.

It's been a while since September, but I decided to try canning. The book is called Canning for a New Generation. I found a pretty nice review here.

This was my FIRST experience canning, and while I was intimidated, the book was not. It was very helpful, and I had a completely successful experience. I made roasted red peppers in lemon juice.




I am thrilled with how they turned out (now I just have to taste them!)

Have you ever canned before? Any bits of wisdom I should know?

4 comments:

Theresa Lichtenwalner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha said...

I love to can! There is a plethora of information out there on the subject. My favorite is to can jams and jellies in small jars to give as gifts during the holidays. I usually do jalapeno jelly, apple or pear butter, and a strawberry rhubarb. You could include homemade bread as well.

Meghan said...

That's an adorable suggestion! I love it!

Harmony said...

Yay! I'm glad you started canning. I should learn so I can preserve stuff from my garden.