3.22.2012

Sloper Sadness/Madness


I can use a pattern to sew. I can even do teensy alterations on a pattern. But, I have always wanted to expand my options. Over the past few months I have toyed with the idea of trying to make a basic sloper for patterns.

When I look at my two current favorite sewing books,, I see so many options of altering a sloper to change the look of a pattern. My problem is I don't have a sloper!

I have looked at many different websites on this issue
 
...and then the site I used to make my first sloper. I am unsure if the sloper instructions are wrong, or if I did a calculation wrong, or if I did a measurement wrong, but it is bad in so many different ways. See below.

Initially, it doesn't seem too bad. There's a weird angle to the shoulder, and it goes far past the waist, but...

Wait, what? Why is the side bust dart NOWHERE near where it should be? My finger is pointing to the apex of the bust. It's a good 3" too low AND it is more than 1" away from the apex.

Wow....Just wow. When I was doing all of the measurements and drawing, I thought the angle of the should looked a little steep, but I went with it because I didn't know any better. Also, we're a good 1" away from even pretending to touch the seam.

I can't decide if the gigantic armhole is more sad to look at, or if the gaping at the bust area is. Perhaps if the dart weren't 3" too low I may not have gaping, but that doesn't save the armhole.

Now, to be fair, I did this about well over a week ago, and I didn't know what the word "truing" was until this past weekend (a great visual rendition here). Perhaps if I trued (is that the past tense?) it would work...

I decided to try Pattern-making.com's instructions next. We'll see how they go.


Any other tips or useful links for a novice drafter?

No comments: