6.22.2012

Spring Summary

~~WARNING: This is a longish post with no pictures and no crafting. Unless you're interested in knowing why I've been MIA, just know I will be back with more frequent posts again. If you want to know what I've been up to, feel free to read the rest.~~

SO, I haven't posted in a long time.
  • We moved to a new apartment that is only 5 minutes down the road, but the difference in quality and safety is incredible. We officially moved in June 2nd, and we still are not 100% packed...
  • We had planned a trip to Florida this weekend, only to have to cancel it due to the icky weather that Florida will be having. Its a pretty expensive vacation for us, so to spend the whole time inside a hotel room is not worth it. RY will be getting credit, so it's not a total wash. Of course for teachers, I have summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and summer to go on a 3 day vacation. We'll see.
  • I started graduate classes again. I'm taking one in strategic management, and one in toxicology.
  • And then for the education front. I have been at my school district for 3 years now. The first year was a full-time substitute position. Then I had a contracted position for.8 for the past two years. Unfortunately, my district is not immune to all of the education nonsense going on, so... my .8 is getting cut to a .4 (for those that don't teach, our district has teachers teaching 5 classes a day...each class is worth .2). I will only be teaching two classes a day. I will be making half of my current salary. To put it this way, the two grad courses (5 credits) I'm taking this summer (which I had to take to try to get a salary bump because we just got a new contract and it's not very salary friendly) cost about HALF of my salary for the 2012-2013 school year after taxes. Also, I'll be teaching a new prep, and it will be my first inclusion class ever.
  • It has been rough. I was considering leaving education, and then decided if I can make it another 2 years in this district, I should be fine. To make ends meet, though, I will have to pick up a second job and triple the amount of tutoring I did last year. I have to find a part-time job I can either work 6-10 or 7-11 every day, but no later than that.

So naturally, the financial aspect and the time aspect of crafting has seemed so less than appealing. Also, even though we are now in a two-bedroom apartment as opposed to our one-bedroom apartment, I lost my craft table. I now have to craft on my computer desk and make sure everything's put back, so its a pain. Ill get used to it, but to have to put something away EVERY time is time-consuming as well.

However, it is summer vacation, and I need SOME fun in my life. SO, after looking carefully through my patterns, I decided to work on one. Ill make sure to only do a bit at a time to make the project (and the cost) seem to stretch. I picked a fairly easy one so the frustration doesn't overwhelm me. Ill post more about it on Monday.

Its been SUPER HOT in PA...and I thought this was adorable.


Hope you've all been well. What are your biggest hindrances to crafting? How do make time in the craziness that is life?

1 comment:

miamihoney said...

Wow! Glad you are back. All of the work stuff stinks! I hope that you are able to do the least amount for the biggest return: you won't be any good if you have to work SO hard to make ends meet. Make sure you take some time to relax and enjoy your SO during this transition.